Wednesday, December 12, 2012

An Open Letter to My Daughter on Her Big Day




My dearest Sweets,

A little over 10 years ago, Daddy and I welcomed an amazing baby girl into our lives. The love I immediately felt for you hit me like a bullet. I was simply unprepared for the amount of insane love that I would feel for another human being.
Today, your first book is being released. Your first BOOK! How many 10-year-olds can say that? How many grown-ups can say that? The funny part about this is it’s not at all surprising to me. You set the highest expectations for yourself and you give 150% in every single thing you do. No dream or goal is unattainable in your mind. What a remarkable and talented young lady you are. You should be immensely over-the-moon proud of yourself. YOU DID IT!
You are going to be graduating 5th grade soon and venturing off to middle school. In a few short years, you will be a teenager. I am not sure where the time went, but I know it is about to fly by even more rapidly. As you continue to grow up, remember how much you are loved. Your family loves you in an insane, deep, almost annoying, mountain-moving way. We will protect you, guide you and defend you until the end of time. You bring us all -- every single human being who is blessed to walk with you, even for a short while -- to a higher place.
Never stop singing and never stop dancing. Continue to live your life like it is a musical. Always keep a song in your heart and a swing in your steps, and if life gets a little tough don't be afraid to just let it all out. Never stop asking me to sing with you, never stop asking Daddy to dance with you. No matter how old you get, I hope that there is no one you would rather sing and dance with more than us.
Every day my heart walks around outside of my body. I miss you when you are at school, yet I delight in your independence. And when I pick you up each afternoon, the second you park that 10-year-old body in the back seat, everything in my life suddenly becomes better.

I am so proud of everything you are right now and everything I know you will be in the future. Know this: My world revolves around you. I love you. Ferociously.

You can never disappoint me. You will never disappoint me.

Forever,
Mommy


4 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful Nicole! Congratulations Alexis. Even though we've never met, I still can't help but to be so proud and excited for you. Continue to make your family, friends, teachers and even strangers proud of you. You motive me to continue working towards my goals. Again, I'm very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATS ALEXIS !SO PROUD OF YOU !!!!! AND TO NICOLE ... YOUR DAUGHTERS ACCOMPLISHMENTS ARE DUE TO A VERY SUPPORTIVE AND LOVING MOTHER ! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you Alexis! You're such an amazing young lady and you never cease to amaze me. I'm thankful to be your uncle and always remember that you can do anything in this world if you put your mind and heart to it. May God continue to bless you "sweets" and I love you with all my heart! :)
    -Uncle Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. CONGRATULATIONS ALEXIS!! What an accomplishment this is! Keep making your parents and family proud as well as yourself! To Nicole and Darrien, you are wonderful parents and your support along with your devotion to your kids is shining bright through this accomplishment. She could not have done it without you two so I #SALUTE you!! Job continuously well done!!♥♥

    ReplyDelete